The www.globalworth.com website is using cookies in order to improve the browsing experience for its users. You can read more about the way that cookies are placed, used and administered and access a few useful links below.
The cookies used by this website offer valuable feedback and help us to better understand the needs of our visitors. The information gathered through them is not stored in our database and when you close the browser, the cookies are deleted from your computer.
What is a "cookie"?
An "Internet Cookie" (also known as a "browser cookie", a "HTTP cookie" or simply a "cookie") is a small text file consisting in letters and numbers which is stored on your computer, mobile device or other gadget connected to the Internet.
The cookie is installed after a web-server sends this request to a browser (e.g.: Internet Explorer, Chrome) and is completely "passive" (it doesn't contain any software, viruses or spyware programs and can't access the information stored on the user's hard drive). The cookie is then resent to the original website at every visit or to another website that recognizes that cookie. Cookies themselves don't ask for personal information and in most cases don't personally identify the internet user. Their main role is to remember the user's preferences on that website or to identify the loyal visitors of a page.
There are two main types of cookies:
- Session cookies – which are temporarily stored in the cookie folder of your internet browser and memorized until you leave that website or close the browsing window;
- Persistent cookies – which are stored on a hard drive or computer hardware (and usually depend on the lifespan on that particular cookie). Some cookies are used for just one session and discarded after the user leaves the website and others are stored and reused each time that person visits the website. However, cookies can be deleted at any time by the user through his browser settings.Persistent cookies include those placed by another website than the one visited by the user at that particular moment. Known as "third party cookies", they can be anonymously used to memorize the interests of a certain user in order to show him the most relevant pieces of advertising.
What are the advantages of using "cookies"?
We gather help us get a general picture of the areas which could use improvements, such as:
- the most popular pages;
- the pages that are not used;
- the most searched types of information;
- the areas which show errors.
What is the lifespan of a cookie?
The lifespan of a cookie can vary dramatically, according to the purpose of their placement. Some cookies are used exclusively for one session (session cookies) and are discarded after the user has left the website, while others are memorized and reused each time the user returns to that website. However, cookies can be deleted at any time by the user through his browser settings.
What are third party cookies?
Some types of content on certain websites can be provided through third parties suppliers (e.g.: a video or a commercial). Also, third parties can place cookies through the website - these being known as "third party cookies". The third parties have to obey the law and privacy settings of the website holder.
What type of cookies can be placed by third parties?
While visiting www.globalworth.com, the following cookies can be placed:
- Website performance cookies - which memorize the user's preferences so he won't have to mention them every time he visits our website.
- Analytics cookies - which identify if the user is visiting the website for the first time or if he is a returning visitor. This type of information helps us monitor the unique visitors and the number of visits to our website.
Other third-party cookies
On some pages, third parties can place their own anonymous cookies, in order to track the success of an application or to personalize it. Due to its usage profile, our website can't access that kind of cookies, the same way that third parties can't access the cookies held by this website.
The Google Analytics cookies
Google Analytics stores information about the pages visited, the time spent in the site, the path of access to the website, as well as the sections accessed through the pages. No personal information is stored, therefore the data collected cannot lead to identifying a particular user.
This website also uses Google Analytics in order to verify if it meets the demands of its users and to prioritize its steps towards improvement. Google offers more information about cookies in the privacy and cookies policy pages. Also, Google offers users and add-on which allows them to leave out Google Analytics on any page they access.
What type of information is stored and accessed through cookies?
Cookies store in a small text file information what allows a website to recognize a browser. The web server will recognize that browser until the cookie expires or is deleted.
The cookie stores important information which can improve your online browsing experience (e.g.: the language settings on websites you visit; keeping you logged into your webmail account; the online banking security etc.)
Why are cookies important for online browsing?
Websites are constantly trying to evolve and improve their services. That's why cookies are essential for the way these platforms work and adapt their content to suit every user's preferences and interests. By refusing or deactivating cookies, you can render some sites impossible to use.
The option is entirely that of the user. For instance, if you refuse or deactivate cookies, it doesn't mean you won't have access to online advertising, but it will not be as relevant (meaning it will not take into consideration the preferences and interests resulting from your online behavior).
Cookie security and privacy
Cookies are completely harmless and do not represent viruses! They use plain text type formats and are not based on the code, which means they are not executable programs and can't autorun.
However, because they store information about the preferences and navigation history of the users on one or more websites, cookies may be used as a type of Spyware. Many antispyware products are aware of this and are constantly marking cookies to be deleted in the antivirus/antispyware scanning/cleaning processes.
Generally, browsers include confidentiality settings which provide various levels of cookie acceptance, validity and automatic deletion after the user has visited a website.
Other information regarding security
In order to avoid any type of problems while using cookies, it's good to know everything about the potential security risks. Because they constantly send information back and forth between the browser and the website, if a transgressor or an unauthorized person interferes with this process of data transmission, the information stored by the cookie could be intercepted. Although very rare, this can happen if the browser connects to the server using an unencrypted network (e.g.: an insecure Wi-Fi network).
However, there are some pieces of advice you can follow in order to make sure you can safely browse the internet. Deactivating cookies is not a solution because it will prevent you from accessing the most popular websites, such as Youtube, Gmail, Yahoo and so on.
Therefore, in order to safely navigate the web while still enjoying the advantages of using cookies, we recommend that:
- You personalize the browser settings regarding cookies so that they reflect a security level you are comfortable with;
- You constantly install and update antispyware applications;
- If you're not bothered by cookies and are the only person using the computer, you can set long validity terms for storing your navigation history and authentication data;
- You constantly update your browser, since many of the cookie-based attacks exploit the weak points of the browser's older versions.
Can I deactivate cookies?
Deactivating and refusing to allow cookies can limit your online browsing experience by making some websites virtually unusable or difficult to navigate. But the choice is always in the user's hands.
All modern browsers offer the possibility of changing the cookie settings. These settings are usually found under "Options" or in the "Preferences" menu of your internet browser.